a Company of Fools presents
The Amazing Adventures of Pericles, Prince of Tyre
a Company of Fools brings affordable accessible, professional theatre to Ottawa’s communities for it’s 13th summer with Torchlight Shakespeare – Shakespeare Under the Stars. The rarely produced classic The Amazing Adventures of Pericles, Prince of Tyre offers a unique opportunity to see and be a part of a gripping tale that is sure to excite and delight audiences of all ages. Directed by the Fools’ new Artistic Director, Catriona Leger, the show will play in parks across Ottawa and beyond July 4th – August 20th. All performances are Pay What You Can with a suggested donation of $15-$20/person. Shows start at 7pm.
The Cast and Crew
Featuring a cast of 6 actors portraying over 45 characters: Ottawa favourites Pierre Brault, Mary Ellis, AL Connors, and introducing newcomers Jennifer Cecil, Mahalia Golnosh-Tahririha and Mekdes Teshome. With an original musical score by Mishelle Cuttler, costumes and puppets by Core Fool Vanessa Imeson and set design by GCTC’s Stephanie Dahmer Brett, audiences will be captivated by imagery that is both whimsical and mythical – reminiscent of a sea soaked, sun drenched fantastical Mediterranean voyage.
When our hero discovers a dark secret about the evil king of Antioch, Pericles is forced to flee for his life. So begins an epic voyage that takes him across the sea to many far off lands where he discovers adventure, love and just maybe what life is all about. Dueling knights, dastardly pirates, proper princesses, promiscuous prostitutes, an ancient goddess, live music and a handful of shipwrecks! How could the Fools have waited so long to tell the thrilling tale of Pericles, Prince of Tyre! Don’t miss this exciting, fast paced escapade set in a mythical world and played against the backdrop of Ottawa’s parks. An enchanting experience for the entire family!
This show plays Monday through Saturday at 7pm at a different park every night! A detailed park schedule can be found on the show page of the Fools website at www.fools.ca.
Potential story lines for Torchlight Shakespeare and Pericles:
• Cultural Diversity: Bringing cultural diversity to Shakespeare and the Ottawa stage
• Developing new talent in Ottawa – Reviving the Fools tradition of investing in new talent, this summer a handful of emerging artists will have their first professional opportunity with the Fools
• Established Artists Mentor New – Veteran actors Mary Ellis and Pierre Brault will prove valuable examples to emerging artists who are working professionally for the first time
• A New Generation of Fools – since fall 2015 the Fools have seen major turnover in the organization. With fresh leadership (new Artistic Director and General Manager) and an entirely new Torchlight cast and crew, 2016 marks a significant year in Fools history
• Who the heck is Pericles? – Can a rarely produced Shakespeare have mass appeal to Ottawa audiences?
• Pericles the Musical? – Adding complex live music and original composition to an established tradition with a dynamic composer. This is a new development for the Fools
• Women in Ottawa Theatre – the entire production team (Director, Composer, Designers) and 4 of the 6 actors are female
• Bringing Communities together and helping to build traditions – From community suppers to after parties, every year neighbourhoods and communities hold special events around the Fools annual Torchlight visit.
About Torchlight Shakespeare
In 2003 the Fools created what has since become our signature event – the annual Torchlight Shakespeare series. This event makes Shakespeare accessible by taking it out of the theatre and into neighbourhood parks each summer, allowing the Fools to bring our unique brand of Shakespeare right to your back yard (or not far from it). In an effort to make great theatre available to everyone regardless of economic background, admittance to Torchlight Shakespeare shows is always by pass-the-hat, pay-what-you-can donations.
More Fools Summer Offerings:
Fools Camp Returns!
After a successful inaugural year, the Fools are brining back Fools Camp. By popular demand, the camp has been extended to offer courses to a vaster age range. In August, kids aged 7-12 and teens aged 13 and up will be able to learn about a Company of Fools’ unique approach to Shakespeare, improv, physical comedy, acting and more! Campers will work alongside members of the Torchlight Shakespeare company in a fun, dynamic, Foolish environment that culminates in public presentations. Camps run August 2-12 (ages 13 & up) and August 15-19 (ages 7-12). For more information and registration visit www.fools.ca